Sunday, July 22, 2012

What Ifs


I came around to a realization in the last couple days. I can’t live my life always thinking of what if. My brain is my biggest adversary and my biggest asset. Since the cancer diagnosis, it has been one of my biggest adversaries. I spend the majority of the days and nights thinking of what ifs.

What if they find cancer in his peritoneal cavity?

What if the chemotherapy doesn’t work?

What if the cancer comes back?

What if Jeremy dies from this?

What if we don’t get to have a long married life together?

What if I have to do this on my own?

What if we have to go to UCSD for treatment?

What if the radiologist reading the MRI doesn’t know what to look for?

What if we can’t have any more children?

What if he has to have another round of chemotherapy?

What if I can’t find a job?

What if we run out of money?

What if something happens to me too?

What if something happens to Fiona?

What if I can’t handle this?

What if I can’t lose all this weight I’ve gained?

What if I actually go crazy?

As you may imagine, these thoughts don’t make for a happy, restful or joyful life. In fact, I’m a huge downer. I’ve been so caught up thinking about what may happen or what could happen that I have been completely ignoring what IS happening.

Yesterday was a simple and joyful day with my family. We went for a walk to the grocery store, played with the chickens, played cards, played hide-and-go-seek and put on a performance in the living room for ourselves. We laughed, I let my agenda go, I was present. I felt lifted, happy, joyful. It was so powerful for me to be laughing with my family, to feel happy. I’ve missed that feeling.

I realized how much I’m letting the what ifs get in the way of the NOW. So what if the what ifs happen, if I’ve made an effort to spend my time in the present, then I know I’ll have fewer regrets. As much as I wish I had some control over what will happen, I don’t. This is one of my biggest lessons. Letting go. Being present. Practicing JOY with what I have NOW.

What I have NOW…

A husband that is currently sewing me a hand tailored skirt for our upcoming trip to Aruba.

A husband that is funny, caring, intuitive, creative, present, positive and adores me no matter what.

A daughter that is phenomenal, beautiful, brilliant, caring, empathetic, funny and curious. And who loves playing with her chickens.

I’m surrounded by beauty, I live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth (and I’ve traveled).

A doctorate degree!

2 really exciting job potentials.

A huge network of support.

A husband who is 6 weeks post-surgery, whose incision is almost closed and who can lift heavy things again!

A husband who is getting stronger every day.

A husband who has the most positive attitude about cancer EVER!

A husband who will help me help him.

An upcoming trip to the beautiful island of Aruba.

Ten beautiful homemade fresh blueberry muffins in my kitchen.

A husband who has cancer.

It’s my choice to start to use my brain as my asset. I can either give cancer the power and let it overtake me or view it as only a small part of my NOW. Each day will be a conscious effort to stay present, especially as we get closer to August and chemo. It will not always be easy for me to suppress the what ifs, but I know it will be so much easier to take one moment at a time, one day at a time. And in the future, if I’m successful at this, I’ll be much more able to cope.

Now, to spend some no-agenda time with my little girl and husband.

7 comments:

  1. that was beautiful.

    and yes in many way anticipation is a healthy way to plan for contingencies. you can't ever shut it out and still have survival instincts.

    but you can't control your world by letting your head spin around every possibility.

    I mean, what if this goes as well as conceivably possible and within a year this blog is nothing more than a time capsule to a challenging part of your life?

    you can't know, and as you said, and trying to control the future just distracts you from the present, which you can take a firm, and at times, joyful grasp of.

    have an amazing time in aruba, you guys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori,
      and your what if
      is the what if that I am choosing...

      JUST A BLIP

      Jeremy

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully put. I think the what ifs can over take at any point in anyone's life, and that we can ALL learn from your present time decisions. Thanks for writing from the heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading something from a woman who suffered horrifically from life - that she still considered it a point in her life, not a definition of her life. Live moment by moment and you are doing better than most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fantastic Maya....Hard place to get to but a much better place to live! The hard, nasty stuff does make us appreciate the simple, daily beauties that often escape most of us in our daily living. Thinking and praying for you all the time! Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this post. <3 I have found it ebbs and flows and I really super love the moments and days like you had yesterday. <3
    All situations are different, but I really love good stories, so here's one for you: Mom (stage IV appendix cancer)'s beating some cancer butt right now. In fact, she's doing so awesome, they didn't see ANYTHING on her last scan, and she's fully off chemo in preparation for surgery. :) :) :) :) :) All things are possible. The only important moment is NOW.
    Keep looking up and making your lists!
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete