Wednesday, October 3, 2012

POT HOLES IN MY LAWN... or... I AM THE ZEBRA

things never go as planned,
there is no script here.

I'm in the hospital again.

this time it's those darn blood clots in my lungs... pulmonary embolism x3.

what started with a mild discomfort in my chest yesterday afternoon, became startling, breath-stealing pain last night.
but it was mostly gone when I woke up, but it was back soon enough. if I took a deep breath: sharp pain. if I breath shallow enough not to hurt: I'm panting.

well, my wife saved me again.

around 10:15 this morning, I was standing at the office copymachine, running off some packets, trying to control my breathing, our wonderful office staff says "your wife is on my phone."

and my wife says, "you're going to the ER, I'm on my way to get you."

um, okay. relief? panic? both?

scramble into action, get me a sub, scribble some sub plans, sit down, watch the door.

oh man, this is the second time I've abandoned my class to go to the hospital. the last time, I never came back...they're going to trade me in for someone else... and if they don't, their parents will.

a tip: if you are a young person showing up in an emergency room, the magic words are: cancer, chemo, chest pains. you don't get to sit in the lobby and wait, you get to sit right down in a wheelchair, zoom, off to a room.  then tell your story over and over (I heard "appendix cancer? wow, I've never heard of that" from no less than 6 people since noon today...) a botched port-access, start a regular IV, off to get a cat scan, wait wait wait wait wait... the doctor plays banjo in a band and has a splint on his finger so he shakes hands with his left in an awkward but somehow more personal way , and the nurse maybe is a little hard of hearing, then you hear blood clot. actually three of them and you get to spend the night, or probably two. 

BUT I'VE GOT THE GLOBAL CARDBOARD CHALLENGE ON FRIDAY!!! 
http://cainesarcade.com/cardboardchallenge/

does this new thing (pulmonary embolism) mean that the old thing (cancer) is showing its ugly face around here again? maybe. could it just be the chemo-poison-induced-sedentary four days I just spent? maybe. could it be something else? maybe maybe.  could it just be totally frustratingly random?? maybe maybe maybe baby.

and now I'll be on blood thinners for 6 months, and constant blood monitoring, and a that's not to clear out the clots, we let the body do that on its own, but to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I heard a guy once tell, or maybe it was his Grampa:

Enough is enough and too much is plenty.


Indeed.

11 comments:

  1. Gods way of keeping you and your loved ones on your toes?
    Enough IS enough. Sending prayers that this is all a big misunderstanding and a whole lot of nothing important.
    Hurry back for Friday, I did marble challenge without you,I ain't doing the cardboard challenge without you!!! And remember its all about me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that, Jeremy. I've been thinking about you, and your family, and was hoping to read something better. You can get through this, I bet the blood clots were a result of chemo (of course I have no medical training.) This is such a dark time but I see light and you will be healthy again, I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, fuck. I'm trying to send better vibes your way, but it's hard over the computer. I'll try some more. Hang in there.

    --pav

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I've read, chemo can cause this in some cases. Hang in there my friend. You have a ton of people out here cheering for you. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo hiss, boo hiss, stupid cancer. Love you k

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, enough is enough and too much is plenty. You have all of our love & support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the office staff is actually health monitoring moles tethered to your wife with an intricate system of whispered codes into cell phones. "Looks like rain" "What? It looks fi..." "I *SAID* 'Looks like rain'" "Oh, riiiiight. Rain" *scurry, scuttle*

    My best Jer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. man oh man! Wish I had something to say that could help, but the only thing that feels appropriate is... THAT SUCKS!!!
    Hang in there~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeremy I'm late to all this news, and I have no adequate words except FUCK and I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My mom went through chemo when I was in jr. high and I agree wholeheartedly that it is a completely unfathomably shitty experience. Thank goodness you are 1/3 through, and thank goodness you have a smart assertive wife who is on you to make sure you get the care you need. The pulmonary embolism is super scary, I'm glad she got you to the ER.

    Please let me know if we can help with anything. Also let me know if you'd prefer (veggie?) raviolis or curry pies, as I'd like to make you some EZ dinner fixins for you and your family to squirrel away on days where it's just too much to deal with cooking.

    Rooting for you!

    --Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I just seen your blog. I am in a similar journey....maybe 6 months ahead of you starting in Feb of 2012. Your scar pic makes me laugh because my wife gives me a hard time about wanting to post the nasty stuff based on appropriateness. I have had a number of surgeries, HIPEC, complications, and now on round 4 of follow up Chemo. This cancer sucks and I would be happy to help if you have any questions. Nate hardyfamilyupdates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete