Thursday, August 16, 2012

A LITTLE PROJECT

I have a little project I've been cooking up, and with the gracious and talented help of my brother-in-law (BIG UPS JUSTIN, WOOT!) I've been able to put it in motion:

Justin made me a series of twelve tea cups (actually he made like 39!!! and I got to choose the twelve I like best WOOT AGAIN!)...the tea cup long being a personal symbol in my work

as a rough stand in for the self... I've numbered the cups 1-12, and arranged them on a shelf. to begin the parade, I have a mason jar filled with an inch of lovely white Aruba sand. At the end of each treatment (there are 12. 12 treatments, 12 cups....eh?) I will enjoy a celebratory glass of whiskey from the appropriately-numbered cup, and THEN SMASH BLOODY HELL OUT OF IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET. yes! then I'll collect the debris and layer it in the mason jar on top of the sand. as treatments go by, the cups dwindle until the end, and the jar of rubble fills... my chemo-interactive-countdown-clock! I'm excited! ............................................................... chemo update: still this morning I feel fine... spent the morning so far in the clay studio... last night was weird: I woke up at 12:50 and never went back to sleep....no pain, no anxiety, no spinning head, just wide awake.... Maya says its the steroids they gave me before the actual chemo...




6 comments:

  1. Super cool idea to commemorate the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are bringing back memories....I had forgotten about those steroids. I hated them worse than the chemo.

    Your comment on carrot jello yesterday made me laugh. My grandma shredded carrots, put them in orange jello, and served it with mayonnaise on top. Yum! The funny thing is that when I was on chemo, I had this intense desire for comfort foods from my childhood, including carrot jello.....with mayo on top!

    In thinking of you and rooting for you! Take care!

    Betty Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you dare to bring sand home from Aruba, the requirement is that you return to the same beach. I, for one, am look I.ng forward to your going back and swimming with Papa, Mama and Fiona in Aruba!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! Yet another way Sedita turns lemons into lemonade...or maybe tea into whiskey? Hmmm??? I'd have a hard time smashinng the bloody hell out of number 10, she's kinda pretty. At the Ginther house, we are all looking forward to the day when your mason jar is full of "treatment debris" and you are on the other side of this beast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you... No matter how you age or the nasty circumstances, you are still the awesome lil teenage boy I knew!

    ReplyDelete