Friday, August 17, 2012

TREATMENT NUMBER ONE: COMPLETE

At a few minutes before 2 this afternoon my poison pump started beeping.
This meant that my first treatment was over. Press stop, go to the doctor, unplug.
WHAT A RELIEF.

A quick recap, then nap.

Before administering the actual chemo on wednesday, they gave me a big dose of steroids.  They warned me it might give me a burst of energy right before bed.  It didn't. But at 1 am I was wide awake, and didn't go back to sleep. Felt kind of wired for most of yesterday.  Then around noon a giant safe fell off the building I was walking next to, and squished me into the sidewalk.

Actually, I was riding in the car.  But that's what it felt like.  I took a 2 hour nap.  When I woke up
I felt great again, cut out and sewed a replacement pump-bag, had dinner, watched a movie, then slept 12 hours.....

Upon waking, I felt like a chemo patient.  Groggy, tired.  Poisoned.  My whole body felt like
gunk.  Maya brought home the most delicious Portland style savory pastries.  I'm not sure where they came from, but I will certainly find out, because when I feel better, I will eat there every day.
Today, I took two bites, then had to go lay down on the couch. I had to ask my daughter to stop having fun, it was too loud. I went to lay down in the bedroom.

Going to the "disconnect appointment" perked me up again.  It was a relief to be finished, to have a nurse who didn't treat me like a mush-brain, to get unplugged.  Drank a protein shake, crashed again.

I tried to be out, and see people.  Maya had to drive me home.  To pooped.
I'm going to take a nap now.

Tonight, my big celebration, smashing tea cup #1.

Only 11 more times to go...

I can do this.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know you very well, but I must say your chest looks freaking awesome, and I am amazed at your strength and creativity. We're thinking about you. Stay strong, max

    ReplyDelete