Tuesday, August 7, 2012

FORWARD MOTION

saw the oncologist today.
we set the plan in motion.
in two days (wed, aug 8) I go in for an MRI and CT scan,
to get a base line. I will have scans every few months for a while.
one week from today (mon, aug 13), I will have my third surgery of the summer to install the port
and on Aug 15, I will have my first treatment.

It feels good to have a plan in place, and official start dates,
but it's also a little unsettling: here we go.

At the visit, I got to see the "chemo room".
And I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged.  It wasn't a room full of miserable sick people
getting pumped full of poison, like I had pictured.  It was a bright sunny room, full of big comfy chairs,
patients and family members cheerily chatting away. That felt very good. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on one step forward. Again, my mom has the your same type of cancer, so i know much of what you will go through. Sounds like you are strong and ready to kick some chemo butt! I haven't had the cancer myself, but I have been there every day she has chemo and every other day as well, so if you do have any questions, i would be happy to try and answer them. I assume they will give you FOLFOX (or something similar) and possibly Avastin. It has been working wonders for my mom. She had many tumors they couldn't remove and they have all shrunk to nothing! Keep that positive attitude, it will do you wonders. Best of luck to you on the "new adventure". mclough1@centurylink.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Doc Walker's 'essay' on her experience with Chemo? It's touching and intriguing and strange while at the same time inviting and calming... I read it over and over when things are wierd in life - not just cancer related, but also with issues of my evolution and being patient with people around me. A constant challenge for me.

    http://sebastianwhite.com/blog/?p=2951 She had a vastly different illness than you, but I adore her analogies about Chemo as an outsider come native.

    ReplyDelete