Friday, June 8, 2012

Appendix cancer.


Appendix cancer. Yeah, I hadn’t heard of it either until 4 days ago. The organ that’s not an organ, a byproduct of evolution, can in fact cause harm, grow tumors and wreak havoc on a family in a matter of minutes. That’s what Jeremy’s appendix decided to do. 

It started with a little back pain over the weekend, probably a pulled muscle he thought. By the beginning of the week the pain was a little more constant and not in the back anymore, it was on the right side of the abdomen. By the second day of this right sided pain worsening, I thought it would be best to get checked out. For any of you medical people out there, you know you don’t mess with right lower quadrant abdominal pain. This is a red flag.

Jeremy had no other symptoms, he wasn’t ill. He didn’t have a fever, nausea, vomiting, anything that would indicate appendicitis (infection) other than the pain. 

That Tuesday I got an email from Jeremy at work telling me the pain was worsening. He doesn’t do that. I called the doctor’s office and made a same day appointment, then called Jeremy in his classroom and begged him to leave work. For those of you who know Jeremy, he doesn’t miss work, he doesn’t ever call in sick. He’s the most dedicated teacher I know. He agreed to leave work. Thank God!

We saw the nurse practitioner at the office. The puzzle pieces weren’t fitting together. Jeremy’s pain was in the area of the appendix, but he wasn’t acutely ill. It just didn’t make sense. They drew blood and everything was normal. If it was an infection of the appendix (appendicitis) he would have had an elevated white blood cell count or some kind of indication of an infection, but nothing. 

We couldn’t figure out what was going on, so the NP sent Jeremy to the hospital for a CT scan. After the test, the staff sent us home. Before we were even out of the parking garage, Jeremy got a phone call from the NP. Something was abnormal with his appendix. It was VERY enlarged, but there were no signs of acute inflammation. At this point, he told us to turn around and go back to the hospital, check in at the ER and Jeremy would likely need to have his appendix removed. 

After speaking to a very confused ER doctor and the surgeon (who happened to be the same guy who removed Jeremy’s gallbladder 3 years ago) the decision was made to admit Jeremy to the hospital and remove the appendix the next day. The doctors informed us of 3 possible scenarios; appendicitis (the most likely and most common), mucocele (a fluid filled cyst, benign), or a tumor (the least likely). 

The next day was Wednesday, we were taken to the surgery waiting area and told the surgery would be about 1 hour. I was given a pager and told to wait in the family waiting area. I waited and waited and waited until my anxiety was creating all sorts of worst case scenarios. It had been 2 hours and he was still in surgery. Something was wrong. 

Finally, when I thought I was going to pull my hair out and I had bugged the receptionist for the 5th time, the surgery was done. I was told to wait in the family consultation room to speak to the surgeon. This also didn’t feel particularly normal. Why do I have to speak to the surgeon for a routine appendectomy in a private dimly lit room with a box of tissues?

By now I’m pacing. I’ve been pacing for at least 30 minutes. There is no way I’m going to sit calmly and wait for the surgeon to come and speak to me. I’m going crazy. What is happening to my husband? Don’t they know I’m a basket case? I need reassurance, not more waiting. 

After what feels like forever, the surgeon comes into the consultation room. We sit down, close the doors and he looks haggard. He starts to describe the surgery to me in detail. The appendix was larger than he had ever seen before. It was incredibly difficult to get out. He lost track of time. He had to remove a piece of bowel and peritoneum. The appendix ruptured in a plastic bag as he was removing it from the abdomen. He came “this close” to having to do an open abdominal incision (which would have instantly bought Jeremy a week stay in the hospital). As you may imagine, none of this was reassuring. 

Due to the complicated surgery, Jeremy had to stay overnight in the hospital. We wouldn’t find out results of pathology until the next week, at our post-operative appointment the following Tuesday. I had a really bad feeling. I kept asking why the presentation was so weird, why the puzzle pieces weren’t fitting together. I put it out of my mind because there is no possible way it could be cancer. Who gets cancer in their appendix? It was just appendicitis with a really weird presentation. 

We went home. Jeremy worked on healing, getting stronger. We went to our post-operative appointment the next Tuesday, thinking routine follow up. Fiona was with us. It wasn’t routine, it was cancer. Cancer? Cancer? A 37 year old man who doesn’t smoke, barely drinks, has a 3 year old daughter, no family history, no medical conditions, has cancer? He threw up. 

How do you integrate that kind of information? I quickly took Fiona out of the room. I asked the receptionist at the front desk to watch her for a couple minutes,  that we just got really bad news. I went back in the room. It didn’t feel like I was actually in my body, I couldn’t stop shaking, shaking, shaking. It was like I instantly developed Parkinson’s. Jeremy was white. The doctor was talking to us; Jeremy needed surgery, this was a cancer called adenocarcinoma, etc, etc. I’m not sure either of us actually heard what he was saying other than “cancer” and “more surgery”.

All the sudden, Jeremy became a cancer patient. In an instant. 

We scheduled the surgery, we went home, we cried, we called our family. I kept thinking, “are we just supposed to act normal now?” I didn’t know what to do, how to act. I can’t lose my husband. He is my life. He can’t have cancer. I’m the one who should have cancer. I’m the one who’s always stressed and worried and neurotic. Jeremy’s the one who is chill, relaxed, takes things one day at a time. 

A couple days go by. Neither of us know what to say, how to act, what the future holds. Luckily the surgeon printed out the pathology report for me and I started to read it over and over again. This was appendix cancer, it was graded a 3 due to the size of the tumor, the margins were clear, the appendix didn’t rupture in the abdominal cavity. 

I called my friend and asked her to be my brain. I couldn’t research because all I could see was “extremely rare”, “survival rate” and “prognosis”. I called the surgeon and asked him to order a full body PET scan. I made an appointment with an oncologist. We waited. Jeremy worked on the chicken coop. We went and saw a movie. We didn’t sleep.

Today was our appointment with the oncologist. Jeremy had his PET scan yesterday. It was clear. It didn’t show any metastases. That is the good news. The bad news is this type of cancer is extremely rare. The estimated incidence is 0.004% to 0.08%. No one really knows how to treat it, there are no guidelines, there is not even an expert consensus. There are 4 types of adenocarcinoma of the appendix. Jeremy has the colonic type. This is the more aggressive type of cancer. 

Jeremy is scheduled to have a right hemicolectomy on Monday June, 11. This involves removal of a large part of his colon and lymph nodes. Once the lymph nodes are examined we will know what stage cancer this is. If this is a stage 3 cancer (involving the lymph nodes) he will need to have 6 months of chemotherapy. If the lymph nodes are not involved, it will be stage 2 and we don’t know what the treatment will look like. 

At this point, we feel optimistic. The lack of metastases was good news. The surgery Jeremy is going to have on Monday is a big one. Open abdominal surgeries require lengthy hospital stays and recoveries. He’ll be in the hospital for about a week. We will find out the results of the surgery the following week. 

All prayers and good vibes accepted right now. (and jelly beans. - jeremy)



19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, definitely sending good vibes and hoping that clear PET leads to more good results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read this! As a cancer survivor, I know how scary this can be. I hope and pray that there is no lymph node involvement and that everything turns out okay!
    -Kim (Hughes) Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Jeremy. Beat that shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be looking for the update after Monday with positive energy. An old friend with a loving young family going through this kind of stress baffles my heart. While I have no intimacy to offer, my empathy is charged. Bare with it, Jer. For what it is worth, one more pair of eyes is watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers and blessings to you all! You are in my thoughts. Maya, check you FB messages.
    Peace, Jenny and Keira (from First Impressions)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa. I just don't know what to say. @Maya - you can do this. @Jeremy - vibes, dude. Mad vibes.

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family will be fervently praying for you guys! I am very optimistic that you will get through this. Knowing the personality of you both, gives me an added optimistic hope that you are driven to see this through with a postive outlook. Hugs to you, and I hope you can feel my squeezes!.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will meditate on top of a mountain I go to once a week for you Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you three and am still in shock and tears after reading this. I am sending every good vibe I have your way and hoping that it helps. Hugs and love from me too. Love you. Carolyn (Barden)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, mama. I can only imagine. You and your husband and that darling baby girl are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Good luck with surgery on Monday.

    Melissa Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Maya~My heart goes out to you. You will all be in my prayers: That the doctors use their skills and discernment to the fullest; that Fiona feel happy and comfortable wherever she is while you are with Jeremy; for Jeremy to keep his spirits up and get his fighting guns on; and for you to be everything to everyone while still taking care of yourself.

    The blog is so articulately well written~thank you for sharing.

    Gina Spinks

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Your husband has cancer" are the last words you ever want to hear. Everything will be okay, it really will. We can watch Fiona just about any time, either K or me is always home with our kids and she is always welcome. If Jeremy wants to talk to K about chemo he would be very open to that. If you want to talk to me about what it looks like when your husband is getting chemo, I am very open to that. Love, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Maya and Jeremy, It's Sally - I don't have a google account so Carolyn's letting me post this under hers. Carolyn came to get me to tell me about your blog. I just can't believe this is happening. I love what you have written. Your summary is excellent. "Jeremy threw up" is exactly what I felt. This is so unfair! Y'all just got served a huge challenge. I have a button that says, "Cancer Sucks." It sure as hell gets your attention. You might not realize it yet, but you will face this with grace...you already are on the right path. Cancer is thought of more like a chronic illness, than a death penalty. Progress is being made every single day. My friend is in a study where they are working on a vaccine of sorts that turns the cancer cells on themselves.

    First things first, get through the surgery. Advice from an old surgical nurse, back when they cut you open for everything, STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN." Managing the pain will help you move more, which will get you up on the road to a quicker recovery.

    Thank you for sharing your terrifying news. You are shining the light on it, meeting it head on. And you know y'all have a ton of people sending positive energy and love.

    Love Sally

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blog is a great idea for so many reasons. I am sending all my love! I can't wait to see all of you, and hopefully help if at all possible. I can take Fiona out with Gwen any time! Know that we are thinking of all of you, and especially on Monday, Jeremy, and in the weeks to come. Love, Rachel, Dan, Gwen & Betty

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is a blog list for appendix cancer/pmp blogs that you may be interested in. You can find it here - http://www.pseudomyxomasurvivor.co.uk/bloglinks.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. On Oct 2, 2014 I went to the ER only to find out 2 weeks later I too had appendix cancer..... And after reading your post it was like it was my story with a few slight differences..... Now about to go down that same path as you did two years ago exactly.... MAY GOD BLESS US & HELP US TO BECOME CANCER FREE

    Appendix cancer is VERY RARE and it only affects about 500 TO 1000 PEOPLE IN THE US A YEAR from all the research I have done...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is the end of the story? How is he now? I just had surgery for adenocarcinoma of the appendix and really do not know the if it will spread or reoccur in the future. I felt all the same things you described above.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What is the end of the story? How is he now? I just had surgery for adenocarcinoma of the appendix and really do not know the if it will spread or reoccur in the future. I felt all the same things you described above.

    ReplyDelete