Monday, June 25, 2012

some of the many things to look forward to over the next 6 months

When I start chemo mid-August, I will likely be taking a combo of two drugs (still to be decided).
After looking through the stack of information about each drug (poison, really, let's call it what it is...)
here are some of the things that I have to look forward to....


  • the feeling of difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, jaw spasm, abnormal tongue sensation and feeling of chest pressure (phew! good thing this is a rare side effect, less than 5%)
  • peripheral neuropathy - numbness and tingling and cramping of the hands or feet often triggered by cold
  • nausea and vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • mouth sores
  • low blood counts (white and red)
  • fatigue
  • loss of appetite
  • constipation 
  • fever
  • generalized pain 
  • headache
  • cough
That's from one drug.  Here are the side effects from the other:
  • diarrhea
  • nausea and possible occasional vomiting
  • mouth sores
  • poor appetite
  • water eyes
  • sensitivity to light
  • taste changes, metallic taste in mouth
  • discoloration along the vein through which the drug is administered
  • low blood counts
  • dry, cracking or peeling skin
  • hair thinning
  • nail changes (discoloration, loss of nails)
  • rash, swelling, redness and/or pain in palms or soles of feet
with all that, I'm still convinced that I can handle this.
January is not so far away,
and despite what my wife may think, she is taking excellent care of me, and will continue to.
With a support network like I have, this will be, while not fun, at least manageable.


 

8 comments:

  1. Speaking from personal experience, the list of side effects is all-inclusive. I am sure you will not experience all or even most of these symptoms. It is like those TV commercials where they have to reveal every single possible side effect of a particular drug. It's a wonder anyone voluntarily buys the stuff.
    I am so sorry you have to go through this. But as the days start clicking by, you will find an inner strength you didn't even know you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally concur with Betty. Kemper's worst symptoms were nausea and hair loss. He also could not tolerate some hospital-y smells, thus the home birth. His nails were discolored but that's because I squeezed the shit out of his hands during said home birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like menopause. ;)

    I've been through two years of hair loss due, not to chemo, but to my own stupidity. I know your hair more or less defines you, so if hair loss is your worry, I know you can get through that. I am a person who was defined by her hair. Hair loss is survivable. Interesting hats and hey! the bald spate...some tatting? henna designs? A new medium for you.

    The rest...well, at least we live in a state that takes care of its chemo-nauseated.

    As I wrote on Maya's post, the raindrop girl is always available for Fiona-care. Or whatever you guys need! Nicole Webster is over here right now, and she and Izzy and Josie and Iain and I send good vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Your former 3rd grade student had straight-A's all through 7th grade and scored 100% on her district final in Algebra, a feat she equals in her artistic practice, as well as....well, every other subject! You turned an unhappy 2nd-grader around to soar above the clouds, you know. Hope we can return the favor. Whatever you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAMN..sounds like those horrid commercials. Maya sounds amazing...and I am sure you remind her of that EVERY SINGLE DAY! you will fight and fight and fight and fight this while looking at beautiful island pictures...and planning the next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Betty. I heard the same thing with my chemo. Lost my hair and found out I had the best shaped head. Taste buds were off, but they came right back. I was in a trial for Avastin and that part was a piece of cake for me. I realize everybody is different. Postive attitude will be great for you with Maya's checking everything out. I am a very positive person and my husband had medical background so he was Mr. Skeptical. Sound familiar? Plan other little trips besides Aruba. Sounds like your Oncologist is a good one. Sending all my positive thoughts and prayers. Marg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremy, I am thinking of you, and Maya, and Fiona....you have the strength, humor and courage to get through all of this. Reading Maya's posts makes me realize what an amazing woman she is. Sending love, positive energy, and happy vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete