Tuesday, June 12, 2012

visit from the music thanatologist

one of the things that has been so helpful in providing comfort here is to be able to stream music from my Google music account thru my tablet. fortunately I mentioned, this to Maya, and she paid attention.

so serendipity:
I was on my fifteenth snooze of the day, and Richard and Natalie stopped by. Maya met them at the door and took them on a walk so I could keep sleeping.

down a floor or two Maya spotted a woman dragging a harp and went running after her. this woman is a music thanatologist:

Main Entry: than·a·tol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \ˌtha-nə-ˈtä-lə-jē\
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek thanatos + English -logy
Date: circa 1842
: the description or study of the phenomena of death and of psychological mechanisms for coping with them

in other words, she plays music and sings to patients to ease them in there final times.  FORTUNATELY for me she believes very strongly in the HEALING, NURTURING AND RESTFUL properties of music... cause you know, my final times are literally  DECADES away.

Maya told this woman my story and how music was providing so much comfort to me and she agreed to come play for me.

I can't even begin to do justice to the experience.  she played slow, soft and with true glory. the sounds wove their way into my wounds and set to healing them. I drifted into the most peaceful sleep. it was a gift.


4 comments:

  1. Go Maya! So glad you had such a wonderful experience today in the midst of the pain and lack of real sleep. Your humor, strength, and insight are serving you well, my friend. Praying for your continued healing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story, Jeremy and Maya. I know of a certain harpist who will love to hear this.

    We had an experience with music and...well, peace. Iain's dad passed in February. He had lingered for a long time, months went by without our being able to reach through to him. Finally, hospice. The hospice worker suggested we put on music for him, and [face palm] I couldn't believe we hadn't thought of that.

    We put on Scottish music for him (Sandy ever the guid Scot), and he grew peaceful during the awfully painful moments. It was magical to witness.

    Music soothes. If not, there is always this gem from Robbie Burns:

    Gie him strong drink until he wink,
    That's sinking in despair;
    An' liquor guid to fire his bluid,
    That's prest wi' grief and care:
    There let him bouse, an' deep carouse,
    Wi' bumpers flowing o'er,
    Till he forgets his loves or debts,
    An' minds his griefs no more.
    Solomon's Proverbs, xxxi. 6, 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! That's one helluva wife you got....to chase down the harp lady! Geat job Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jeremy,
    So glad you're getting such good care for body, mind and spirit - and I'm sending a pile of healing and strength and love and all kinds of goodness to you and your family.

    Big love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete