Thursday, June 14, 2012

what last night WAS and the night before WASN'T

a comparison :

Tuesday night
total sleep : one and a half hours
quality of sleep : light, interrupted, not restorative
pain levels : high
pain control : I could press the button releasing the pain meds every six minutes. but if I was sleeping,  I wasn't pressing the button. so if I slept an hour, then I was an hour behind on pain management and it would take an hour of watching the clock, every six minutes, to catch back up. this of course meant no sleeping...
overall feeling : sweaty, dirty, discouraged

Wednesday night
total sleep : about seven hours
quality of sleep : deep, almost uninterrupted,  restorative
pain levels : managed
pain control : I'm now on oral pain meds, a big dose every three hours, much more manageable because I can rest in between, a big difference!
overall feeling : better, BETTER

SOME MILESTONES FROM YESTERDAY
- got to take a shower,  it was awkward,  exhausting but ultimately really great, thanks nurse Maya! - got to get out of that awful hospital gown and put on some of my own clothes, phew! - got the dressing off my incision, woah. it's about ten inches long and has 21 staples in it. it looks very clean, and they tell me it's looking good. it was quite a shock to me. when they pulled the dressing off, I had to lay down, dizzy sweats... but I've grown accustomed to it, maybe a bit fond of it. it will definitely be a bad-ass scar... - I went for four walks yesterday, have now covered all the carpet on this floor. I will need to find the elevator if I hope to blaze new trails... that or I'm going to have to start running laps... - I've been upgraded from clear liquids to all liquids! ate some custard and yogurt yesterday. hopefully we will see some gut action today, really hoping for some toots! okay, nap time.

4 comments:

  1. Toots make everyone happy!! Is Scotch considered a clear liquid??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo asked how you were doing this morning, so I read him the "highlights" of your week. He was very empathic, relying his own grief about pain management after having his tonsils out. He said " the 15 minutes it took the medicine to work, felt like forever". We are pleased to hear that you have found a way to stay on top of the pain!!
    As for today, last day of a school, Leo lugged a big bag of books to school that he picked out yesterday at the store. He was very very excited about the "read in". Thank you for inspiring the love for books in my child!!! I will post photos from the "read in" later today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, for toots! Glad each day is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea yea yea!!! I am so happy to read this..except for the woozy staple bit..felt a little woozy too, and also have lost some sleep over your predicament ...even through the years ya know!

    ReplyDelete