Monday, June 25, 2012

Chemo


So, my husband has cancer. Not the good kind of cancer…the bad kind. The kind that is so rare, there are no studies, guidelines or expert consensus. The kind oncologists treat based on “intuition”. For an oncologist to use the word “intuition”? Not reassuring.

Last week, after my husband posted he didn’t need chemo for all the world to see, I got frustrated. I was frustrated with him for writing that blog. For leading all those that care out there in the universe to believe that everything was okay, he was cancer free and on the road to recovery. This was misleading. Jeremy is an optimist. I’m a realist.

My interpretation of the oncologist visit was different than his.  I heard the oncologist say he didn’t know what to do, he had to consult. His initial response was to not necessarily do chemo but that was based on a stage 2 colon cancer. Jeremy doesn’t have colon cancer. He has stage 2 adenocarcinoma of the appendix, colonic type. He was going to consult and get back to us by Friday. He did.

On Friday we got a phone call from his assistant saying he’d like to make an appointment with us. He had consulted and decided that Jeremy needed chemotherapy. No details. Nothing else. You can imagine what the weekend was like as we waited for the appointment today (Monday). Full of anxiety, sadness, grief, loss of control, the unknown, etc. It wasn’t a relaxing weekend.

I’ve been feeling really isolated the last week. Jeremy was home from the hospital, he posted he didn’t need chemo and it seemed like all the sudden everyone thought, “Oh, he’s cancer free, no need for chemo. Everything is okay now.” Well, on my end, everything was not okay. I suddenly had a husband and a 3 year old to take care of. The roles around the house that we normally divide were not divided. Jeremy has been recovering from 2 major surgeries within 10 days of each other. He’s not able to do anything other than walking from the couch to the bathroom and back. Suddenly I became a caregiver and a single parent with a husband who has cancer. EVERYTHING IS NOT OKAY. And please stop asking me how I’m doing unless you actually want to know how I’m doing and then I’ll tell you how I’m doing which is NOT OKAY!

Not only were we waiting the weekend to go to the oncologist appointment, but meanwhile, Jeremy’s 10 inch incision was starting to dehisce. For those non-medical people out there it means open. Not good. It began to open more and more each day, not only open, but ooze fluid, fluid that smelled and looked smelly. His incision is not healing well. So, instead of one doctor’s appointment today, we had two. Now I get to be a wound care nurse and pack my husband’s open wound with a wet dressing twice a day. Not my idea of fun. Or his.

Then came the oncologist visit. Jeremy needs chemotherapy. The oncologist consulted with the local tumor board, an oncologist at MD Andersen and another oncologist that I was able to find at UCSD who specializes in rare appendix cancers. They all said he needs chemo. The reasons: 1) he’s young, 2) the tumor was poorly differentiated and aggressive (bad), 3) there might be cancer cells that we can’t see, 4) we want him to live, we want him to live, we want him to live.

This is what it’s going to look like. He needs another surgery to place a port in his central vein (surgery #3). This is where the chemo will go. The treatment will last for 6 months. He is going to have a regimen that is used for colon cancer because that is the only reference point anyone has to go by. Not comforting. In fact, every time the oncologist referenced colon cancer in the visit, I wanted to scream, “HE DOESN’T HAVE COLON CANCER, HE HAS APPENDIX CANCER!!!!” Which I actually did several times. The oncologist is a sweet man and seems to get it. It’s so frustrating to have no data to work off of. He is using the only reference point he has, which is colon cancer.

Every 2 weeks he will go in to the office, the first day they will infuse the treatment through his port. He will be there for about 5 hours. He will come home with a pump attached to his port which will infuse the rest of the chemo treatment for the next 2 days, then he has to go back in and have the pump removed. This process will happen over and over again for 6 months. It will make him tired, probably nauseated and he might lose his hair. Not what we envisioned our next six months looking like.

The oncologist doesn’t want to start treatment until Jeremy is healed from his surgeries. I agree. It doesn’t make any sense to beat someone when they’re already down. We have a family vacation to Aruba planned at the end of July. Hopefully by then Jeremy’s incision will have healed. The oncologist believes in the power of positive thinking and rejuvenation, he wants us to go on our vacation and refuel.

So, chemotherapy will likely start the second week of August.

I’m blown away by Jeremy’s attitude. He is positive, hopeful and has accepted this with such grace. He is a better person than me by yards. I know his attitude will carry him through the hard time to come. I can’t say I’ve ever had more respect for another human being than I do for my husband right now. I love him more than I could ever say.

This is all so fresh and I am still absorbing and assimilating the last 3 weeks. I’ve been going through such extremes of emotions; from anger to frustration to sadness to guilt to anxiety to fear. It’s quite amazing how things change in an instant. We now are living in a life with cancer, but not for long…

Cancer sure does put things into perspective. 

15 comments:

  1. It's all going to be okay. I promise it's all going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the realist and the optimist team up...you're a good team. My wife (a doctor) heard Jeremy's version last week and said hmmm, that sounds wrong. He needs chemo! Keep us posted. -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, you need a team. Maya, if you ever need someone to hang with Fiona, remember that the girl who did the interpretive dance of the raindrop will be at your service. And us - anything, we're here for you, and I'm sure you have tons of people in your corner. Even at that, events like this trigger the most stringent of life philosophies and it can be discouraging. So let what you have now, in the present, nourish and protect you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're all going through so much, and the uncertainty and ups and downs make it so much more stressful. If you are able to talk to other people who have gone through this type of chemotherapy and their caregivers, that might give you a better sense of how you can best handle it- not just logistically but emotionally as well- and what sorts of help you should ask for. Try to remember to take care of yourself as well as your family, and take anyone who offers up on whatever help they're able to give.

    -Sarah (I knew Jeremy in college)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you both stay strong and you will get through this. We are all thinking about you Jeremy back home and even though we are not there, we are there with you in spirit.

    Get well my friend

    Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your weekend and Monday, I can envision you right now and my heart aches. I'm sorry if my texts this morning were frustrating, I hadn't read the blog yet this weekend. My bad, poor timing and poorer inquiries. The trip to Aruba will be a wonderful thing. I hope I can help by picking up mail/paper and mowing and weeding. Or feeding animals. I'll ask again closer to the trip again, we are a hop skip away and I love yardwork. Love and kisses to you and Fiona, and a gentle squeeze for Jeremy. Also, I don't know if Jer will be up for it, but if he finds painting therapeutic I have supplies just gathering dust in the basement. I would love to offer them to him, if he wants it. Mostly paints, some canvases. Acrylic, oil and charcoals. Love, Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy hell you guys. Thank you for writing this all down so we can send positive thoughts your way without invading your life. Jeremy, we've only met a few times but I know we share a birthday (to the day, one year apart) and our daughters almost share a birthday (to the year, one day apart). I want us to have many more mutual birthday celebrations so I am glad the fight is on to heal your bod from all this. And Maya, I knew something was up when I saw you at Ari's party, but I didn't want to pry. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you as you continue to adjust to this time in your family's story. I know Fiona doesn't know us that well, but Mirabelle loves having playdates if you need some time. And food? We would love to drop off dinner anytime. I also actually like cleaning bathrooms too, if don't mind turning me and Mrs Meyers loose in your inner sanctum. Whatever - just let me know if I can help. I hope Aruba is magical for you all and that you come back ready to continue healing. Julie Rentsch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maya, this voice from your Texas past is Dinah..... I am so sorry. Cancer is crap and that's it. Hang in there Maya.... Thinking of you with love and support here in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch. I think a lot of people forget how emotionally volatile an illness, especially a rare one, is for all of those involved, even those who are not sick. In addition to hoping Jeremy gets the care he needs, gets better as fast as physically possible and that everything becomes "okay" (and then awesome) ASAP, I hope you are getting care YOU need (self care, talk care, whatever that is). As you know, the loss of control and frustration and the levels of fear and grief for the perspective you lose is palpable. Let us know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maya, I am so thankful Jeremey has a wonderful and realistic wife in all this. I have never met you, but your words are wrenching my heart, thinking of all the pain and stress and worry that has your family in knots. I hate that I havenet seen him in 20 years, cannot give him a big squeeze from rochester and that it takes facebook, the internet and tragedy to reach out. I will read and worry over each blig post and wish there was more I could say or do. What I would love is your address if you or Jeremy could send an emailo with it to karenswimmer@yahoo.com. when you get a free moment..which by the sounds of it may not be for a bit. sending every possible postive worried thought your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again I think this blog is really powerful to vent, clarify, connect , and receive support. I feel like this puts so much of life in perspective for so many of us. You have my support and I'm thinking about you, Maya, Jeremy and Fiona. I'm thinking positively and looking at one step at a time of things that are going well. (I got to see you, Jeremy!) I think having Gwen and Fiona run and get together tonight was really fun for them. Gwen wouldn't have been able to run all that way without her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know you or your family personally, but my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 Signet Ring Appnedix cancer 6 months ago. I have lived in your pain, and I understand completely what you are going through. She also had a hemicolectomy, (with complications, so she needed a second emergency surgery 24 hours after) and she too had an open wound that had to heal from the inside out (which is what it sounds like you will be doing). "we" (meaning my mom. but really our family, as the person with cancer doesn't go through this alone) will hopefully be done with the 6 months of chemo at the end of July and move only to a "maintenance chemo", which is Avastin. I tell you all this to let you know there really isn't much info out there, but hold out hope. On my moms last PET scan, out of the 6 tumors that couldn't be removed with surgery, 5 were gone, and only one is left and shrinking. Dr's seems to be very pessimistic, don't let that get to you. It is one step forward and two steps back, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there...as a family, and be stronger for it. I am happy to share the information I have and what we have been through, and what chemo my mom is doing, if you want to contact me at any time, my email address is mclough1@centurylink.net and I am happy to share my experience and what I have learned so far on this journey. Cancer sucks, this I know, but keep fighting the fight!! It doesn't always feel as shi*ty as it does today, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm the sister of Michelle. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!! Michelle shared your site with me because we are constantly searching for someone else who has gone through appendix cancer (I'm SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SORRY you guys are going through it) and your post sounds so much like me and how I feel and what I say. It often feels like we are having an entirely different experience than mom is. And this has been very, very hard on dad- KEEP letting people know how you are REALLY doing and what would be helpful. LET THEM HELP YOU. Making meals or babysitting or getting you out for a minute, etc. I'm so thankful you guys get to go to Aruba, please soak it up as much as you can. We are a few steps ahead of where you are, but not near done yet. PLEASE reach out whenever you want to. As you know, they treat it like colon cancer and I'm going to guess that he'll be on the same chemo as mom. Oncologists are great but they haven't done the chemo on themselves so if you guys have any questions about what our (moms) experience has been please ask. I wish I could take this away from you.
    My email is ohtobeahayes@yahoo.com. Reach out to us. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!
    The wound is C.R.A.Z.Y. I have never seen anything like it in my life, it is amazing how it fills in. Mom also said that the port being installed (haha, that was a flub our other sister made and we kept it) didn't hurt like the other surgeries. I am so sorry for this journey. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Sending big love, big big healing, and comfort to all of you. REACH OUT TO US!
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I'm the other sister, Rose - you know, the one that made the infamous "port installation" comment. :)
    Seriously, this journey is the most difficult thing our family has gone through, and we understand each and every aspect of it. I wish we had known more people who had even heard of it when our mom was diagnosed...there's just something to knowing you're not the only one with this particular, rare, life-changing diagnosis.
    Please, please - contact any of us at any time...we have been here, and have made it this far, in part to help others who find themselves in this stinking boat navigate through their new normal. My sisters left their email addresses; you can add mine to your list as well - bobandrosec@gmail.com.
    Prayers to your family and loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, it's Kim (Hughes) Bishop. I don't know if you remember that I had cancer in high school. I was diagnosed right after sophomore year. Anyway, this time will be difficult, and it will stay that way. Even when he's all better (let's assume the best outcome), there will be times that are scary. Is it a tummy ache, or is it cancer? Am I just tired, or is it cancer? It won't happen all of the time, but it will probably happen occasionally. His positive outlook is a good thing. It will help him cope and make it through the chemo. You will both discover that you have friends you didn't know about and that maybe some of the people you considered closest to you really aren't so much. Just remember that you aren't alone in the world. Not even in the world of appendix cancer (although there are far fewer of you out there). There are support groups for cancer patients and their families if you're into that sort of thing. This blog is probably a great outlet for you, too. Whatever you do, don't lose hope. It hurts worse than chemo. I'm pulling for you guys.

    ReplyDelete